Presented in partnership with
writingWA, Fremantle Press,
& The West Australian
The City of Fremantle T.A.G. Hungerford Award is dedicated to recognising and nurturing
emerging voices in Western Australian literature. It is a biennial award that celebrates
literary merit and originality, and is given for a full-length manuscript of fiction or creative
non-fiction by a Western Australian author previously unpublished in book form. Previous
recipients of the T.A.G. Hungerford Award include Gail Jones, Brenda Walker and Alice
The 2014 Award winner will receive a $12,000 cash prize from The City of Fremantle, and a
publishing contract from Fremantle Press.
Conditions and General Information
1. The Award is made for an unpublished work of literary fiction or creative non-fiction by
a Western Australian author not previously published in book form.
2. Unpublished original manuscripts only, of at least 50,000 words, may be entered for the
3. Authors whose work has only previously been self-published are eligible to enter,
though the manuscript entered in this competition may not have been published in any
4. The manuscripts must be in English and may be a novel, novella, collection of short
fiction, or a work of creative non-fiction (SEE NOTE BELOW).
5. The Award excludes fiction in the genre categories of romance, science fiction, and
6. The Award is open to writers whose normal place of residence is Western Australia. If
requested, proof of eligibility is the responsibility of the entrant. Where necessary, final
arbitration will be at the sole discretion of the judges.
7. Manuscripts of joint authorship are NOT eligible to be entered.
8. A maximum of one entry per person may be submitted.