Friday, 30 May 2014
The Booktown Writers' Annual Short Story Competition 2014 - Deadline 18th of July 2014.
The Booktown Writers’ Annual Short Story Competition
The judge for the competition is Michael J Malone - Michael Malone was born and brought up in the heart of Burns’ country, just a stone’s throw from the great man’s cottage in Ayr. Well, a stone thrown by a catapult maybe. He has published over 200 poems in literary magazines throughout the UK, including New Writing Scotland, Poetry Scotland and Markings. His debut novel, Blood Tears was released in 2012, followed by A Taste for Malice in June ’13. His book about modern day successful Scots, Carnegie’s Call was published in October 2012 and his most recent release is The Guillotine Choice.
1. Only short stories between 1,000 and 3,000 words will be accepted. No children's stories or poetry is allowed.
2. All entries must be in English and be the work of the submitting author.
3. Entries cannot have been previously published (paper or electronic), broadcast (radio or television), won or been placed in a writing competition.
4. Electronic entries are preferred however paper entries are accepted.
a. Electronic entries must be submitted as an attachment in Microsoft Word, double line spaced in Times New Roman font size 12 and accompanied by a completed application form as a separate attachment. These should be sent to email@example.com
b. Two copies of paper entries must be submitted, printed on one side only of white A4 paper in Times New Roman, double line spaced, font size 12. Paper entries must be accompanied by a completed application form and sent to Booktown Writers, Jubilee Cottage, Braehead, Newton Stewart, Wigtownshire, Scotland, DG8 9AH.
5. Word count must be given at the end of each entry.
6. All entries must have the page number and title of the story clearly marked in the top right hand corner of each page. No other identifying mark is allowed on any page other than the entry form.
7. Entry fees are £6 for one entry, £10 for two entries and £14 for three entries. Only three entries per author are allowed.
8. All entries must be accompanied by either details of the BACS payment or a cheque for the correct amount which can be drawn on a UK bank in pounds sterling.
9. Entries must be received no later than 6pm on the 18th of July 2014.
10. If you wish acknowledgement of a paper entry you must include a stamped addressed postcard.
11. The judge's decision is final and no discussion or debate will be entered into with authors.
12. The competition organisers reserve the right not to make any awards if the number or standard of entries is deemed too low for a reasonably competitive entry, in which case all entries will either be held over to the following year or returned to the original author with a small deduction for administrative costs.
13. Shortlisted authors will be invited to the award ceremony which will be held during the Wigtown Book Festival (place, time and date to be announced).
14. The 1st, 2nd and 3rd placed authors will receive £200, £100 and £50 respectively and their work will be published on the Booktown Writers Website and in the Booktown Writers’ Anthology.
15. Other suitable or commended entries may be considered for publication in Booktown Writers’ Anthology.
16. Submitted work will not be returned.
17. Queries should be addressed to firstname.lastname@example.org
18. Any deviation from these rules will result in the entry being disqualified.
BACS for the full amount, using the authors name as a reference and payable in pounds sterling, should be made to: Clydesdale Bank, Newton Stewart Branch, Sort Code 82-67-02, account no. 90041301
20. Cheques should be made out to Booktown Writers, and be for the full amount payable in pounds sterling with the authors full name and story title used on the reverse as the reference. These should be send to BTW, Jubilee Cottage, Braehead, Wigtownshire, Newton Stewart, DG8 9AH.
DOWNLOAD ENTRY FORM HERE
ENTRY FORM (please download, complete and send either as an attachment along with your electronic entry to email@example.com or with your paper entry by post to Booktown Writers, Jubilee Cottage, Braehead, Newton Stewart, Wigtownshire, DG8 9AH)
Entry 1 Title:
Entry 2 Title:
Entry 3 Title:
Declaration: I confirm that all entries are entirely my own work and have not been published, broadcast, won or been placed in any writing competition. I have read and agree to the rules of the competition. Signed:
Entry fee (please circle as appropriate): £6 £10 £14
Payment method (please circle as appropriate): BACS Cheque
Name used as BACS ref:
Date of BACS:
Palestinian author Ahmed Miqdad and co-Author Balqis MZ, delivers his fourth book (a short novel) about living under occupation in Gaza...
The Daily Mail Penguin Random House First Novel competition Welcome to The Daily Mail Penguin Random House first novel competition. Before...
1st Prize: £5,000 Plus two optional extras: a week’s writing retreat at Gladstone Library, and a day with an editor at Virago Pre...
DISCOVER - New writing from Turkey and the UK Open call for short story writers The British Council in Turkey aims to build a bridge b...