Friday, 30 May 2014
The Whispering Prairie Press writing awards
The Whispering Prairie Press writing awards are held annually and close June 30th each year. Our contest allows us to recognize talented writers and artists across the nation and is a fundraiser to assist with our operating expenses. Through your participation we
are allowed to offer prize money for the contest, publish Kansas City Voices, finance our
literary and art outreach programs, and cover daily operating costs.
Art: CMYK and 300 dpi or higher. All types of art are welcome. ( Including, but not limited to: sculpture, photographs, oils, watercolors, comic strips, illustrations, etc.)
Flash Fiction: 1,000 words or less. A complete fictional short story with a beginning, middle, and end. Put word count and FLASH in the top right corner, double-spaced in 12-point standard font.
Non-fiction Personal Essay: 1,000 words or less. Put word count and ESSAY in the top right corner, double-spaced in 12-point standard font.
Poetry: Line limit one page, single spaced. Any style, any subject. 12-point standard font. Put POETRY in the top right corner.
PRIZES IN EACH CATEGORY
1st place $100, 2nd place $50, 3rd place $25.
One honorable mention for every 10 entries.
All payments made in U.S. Dollars only.
Publication of 1st place winners in select categories*.
CONTEST PARTICIPATION GUIDELINES
• Contest closes June 30th each year.
• Open to all writers age 18 and up, except members of the Board of Directors of
Whispering Prairie Press and the editorial board of Kansas City Voices. All work must be
the author’s original work.
• Submissions for our contests are accepted online through Submittables (link below) with payment via Paypal or credit card.
• Hard copy submissions, with check or money order payable to Whispering Prairie Press, may be mailed to PO Box 410661, Kansas City, MO 64141, and must be postmarked no later than June 30th. Include a cover sheet with your name, mailing address, email address. *We do not accept ART submission in hard copy format.
• Please do not put your name on the manuscript whether using Submittables or sending in hard copy. Any manuscript with identifying information will be disqualified, and payment will not be refunded.
• All work must be unpublished at time of submission.
•No limit on number of entries. May mix categories.
MAKE YOUR SUBMISSION
Enter 3 pieces (with chance for publication) for $25 by clicking here.
Enter 2 pieces (with chance for publication) for $18 by clicking here.
Enter 1 piece (with chance for publication) for $10 by clicking here.
Enter 1 piece (with NO chance for publication) for $5 by clicking here.
Results: Winners are announced in August, and winners’ names posted at
www.wppress.org. Judges’ decisions are final. We do not hold any rights to the works submitted to our contest.
*Whispering Prairie Press extends the opportunity to be published in Kansas City Voices, by invitation only, to select winners. Some of our writers prefer to enter contests and are not interested in publication. In order to meet everyone’s needs we offer a discounted category that allows you to compete for the prize money (only) and does not include publication of your work.
THE WHITE REVIEW SHORT STORY PRIZE 2019 SUPPORTED BY UNITED AGENTS The White Review Short Story Prize is an annual short story competit...
1st Prize: £5,000 Plus two optional extras: a week’s writing retreat at Gladstone Library, and a day with an editor at Virago Pre...
The Daily Mail Penguin Random House First Novel competition Welcome to The Daily Mail Penguin Random House first novel competition. Before...
About the Prize 1st Prize: - €1000 - a week's residency at the Tyrone Guthrie Centre - paid travel expenses (up to €600) and 4 nights a...