AIA-SJ invites all New Jersey middle and high school students to submit their original
works, written or art, based on the following quotation from Mahatma Gandhi;
“You must be the change you wish to see in the world” - Mahatma Gandhi
Key Guidelines and Rules for Participation:
1. Open to ALL Middle and High School students from New Jersey
2. Entries must be submitted on the attached form duly signed by teacher or guidance
3. Art Entries must not be smaller than 12 inches by 18 inches and should also have
• Required Title of the work
• Required artist statement (Explain how your work relates to the theme.
• (At least 10 words Max 100 words))
• Required describe the medium used like oil on canvas, crayons, etc.
• Place the Student Entry Form in a sheet protector and secure it with
masking tape to the back of the artwork. Do not tape over the opening of the
• The original artwork will not be returned.
4. Writing (Short Essay or Poetry) should not be more than 300 words or they will be
5. Last date for mailing entry is June 15, 2014. Entries post marked after June 15 will not
6. All entries become the property of AIA-SJ and will not be returned to the participants.
7. AIA-SJ will reserve the right to utilize these entries in AIA-SJ publications, displays or in
8. Cash awards ranging from $250 to $50 will be awarded to the highest rated entries in
each category and for both Middle & High School participants.
9. A total of up to 30 selected contestants will be recognized and will be required to attend
the award ceremony tentatively scheduled in first week of October, 2014 in Princeton.
In 2014, AIA-SJ will be celebrating the 11th
Anniversary of the Mahatma Gandhi Award contest
for New Jersey students. Over the last decade several thousand middle and high school
students have participated in the competition and the AIA-SJ has recognized hundreds for their
outstanding work in interpreting and expressing Mahatma Gandhi’s ideas to make our world and
AIA-SJ is one of the oldest associations representing Indian-Americans in the United States.
AIA-SJ is a not for profit organization committed in spreading Gandhi’s message of peace, non-
violence and racial harmony. Please visit www.aia-sj.org for additional information.