2014 Poetry Competition
Closing date: midnight on 17th August 2014
Sole Judge: Jonathan Davidson
who will read all entries
Closing date for entries. Midnight, 17th August 2014
1st prize-£600. Runner-up- £300. 5 x commended-£50 each.
The Gloucestershire Prize- £200. (for Gloucestershire residents only).
Download entry form and postal instructions here
Entry fees: Postal entries; £4 per poem or 3 poems for £10.
Email entries will carry a surcharge for PayPal & printing costs:
One poem £4.35, two poems £8.70, three poems £11
Email entries:- please go to the bottom of this page for how to enter by email.
Proceeds of the competition will be used to fund ‘Buzzwords’, which is the longest running and most respected regular poetry gathering in Cheltenham.
"A warm, intelligent - and going on the evidence of the floor readings - a very talented group, Buzzwords was a great venue for reading and listening." - George Szirtes
Rules of Entry.
1. Poems should be no longer than 70 lines.
2. No translations are accepted.
3. Poems must not have been previously published in print or on the internet.
4. Entries must be clearly typed on single side(s) of A4 paper in a clear font e.g. Arial 12 point. No curly or obscure fonts please.
5. Please leave a resonable margin on the paper so that it is legible when printed and kept in a file.
5. Handwritten entries will not be considered.
7. Entrants’ names should not appear on the poems. An entry form or covering letter or email should accompany all entries and contain name, phone number, address, email address and titles of poems entered.
8. Entries for the Gloucestershire prize should mark their poems with ‘GL’ in the top right hand corner.
9. Gloucestershire, for the purposes of the competition, includes South Gloucestershire
10. Entrants may enclose an s.a.e. marked ‘Results’ for postal notification of the prize-winners or state in their cover letter/email that email notification is preferred.
11. Results will also be published on the Buzzwords Competition Website.
12. Prize winners will be contacted by October 2014; winners will be welcome to read their poems at the next ‘Buzzwords’
13. The judge’s decision will be final and we regret that no correspondence will be entered into.
14. Copyright will remain with the competitor, but Buzzwords reserves the right to publish the winning poems on the website, or to use them in publicity, for 12 months after the results are announced.
15. Poems may not be altered after entry.
16. Cheques should be clearly made out to ‘Cheltenham Poetry Cafe’.
On-line entries: Please pay for your entry by the paypal button below.
Your entries can then be emailed to us at: email@example.com
Please send all the poems you are entering in a single file, with each poem on a separate page (use page breaks).
Please attach the poems to a covering email giving:
a) name, address, telephone number
b) number of poems submitted
c) your Paypal email address if different.
d) the titles of your poems
e) please make sure the attached file has just your poems and their titles, but no identifying information.
f) please send the email to firstname.lastname@example.org
g) please let us know if you would like to be kept informed of future competitions