Friday, 13 June 2014
Gatehouse Press open for submissions
Gatehouse Press is excited to announce the opening of submissions for their new short fiction series. With a word limit of between 10,000 and 13,000 words, the open submission process seeks to encourage new writers to explore the possibilities of length within the short fiction genre. The winning stories will be published as part of Gatehouse Press’ upcoming New Fictions series in 2015.
The New Fictions series seeks to publicise the best new writing, not only through publication but also through readings and events. Building on the substantial critical success of Gatehouse Press’ Lighthouse journal and its sleek, elegant print format, New Fictions will provide a crucial platform for emerging writers who are able to redefine the limits of the short fiction genre.
Rules for Submissions
1. Submissions must take the form of three copies of a single work of prose fiction of between 10,000 and 13,000 words. Submissions should be typed, double-spaced, and include the work’s title and a page number on every page.
2. The Gatehouse Press judging panel will announce a shortlist of between 10 and 15 writers in the first instance. From this the panel will then select between two and four writers whose work will be taken forward for publication as part of Gatehouse Press’s New Fictions series in 2015. However, the panel reserves the right not to select any work for publication if they judge that no work submitted has attained a sufficiently high standard.
3. All submissions must be posted to the following address:
New Short Fiction Series Submission
90 Earlham Road
Norwich NR2 3HA;
Email submissions will not be accepted.
4. All submissions must reach Gatehouse Press by 5pm on the closing date for submissions, Friday 12th September 2014.
5. Authors submitting work must include the following information on a separate cover sheet: Their name; The title of the work submitted; A valid contact address within the UK; A valid contact email address; A UK contact telephone number.
6. Submissions must be anonymised; authors’ names must not appear anywhere in the text of a submission except on the cover sheet for their work. To ensure fairness we regret that any work that does not follow this rule will not be considered eligible for selection.
7. Work that has been published elsewhere, in whole or in part, is not eligible for submission. This includes work that has appeared in magazines or online.
8. We regret that we cannot consider overseas submissions; we expect authors submitting work to be normally resident within the UK. Within the bounds of reasonable possibility, writers should be available to attend launches, readings and events within the UK to represent themselves and their work.
9. Gatehouse press will announce the shortlist on the weekend of the 27th of September 2014. Authors who have been selected for the shortlist will be contacted by telephone or by email before midnight on the 29th of September. Those who have not been contacted by this time should assume that their work has not been successful in the 2014 submission period.
10. The decision of the Gatehouse judging panel, both in respect of the shortlist and the final selection of work for publication, is final. We regret that we cannot enter into any correspondence with regard to submitted work or the decisions of the panel.
11. Authors who wish to have their manuscripts returned must include a stamped addressed envelope with sufficient postage for the return of the entirety of the manuscripts submitted. We regret that we cannot return manuscripts sent without an SAE.
Could you be the next Parkinson’s Art Poet of the Year? Entries are invited for this prestigious, annual poetry competition. Our theme this...
First prize: £5,000 One of the largest short story prizes, the winning story features in our anthology, so you will see your words in print...
The annual HG Wells Fiction Short Story Competition offers a £500 Senior and £1,000 Junior prize and free publication of all shortlisted en...