“If you haven’t any charity in your heart, you have the worst kind of heart trouble.”
That’s what this Round Table contest is about – writing a funny gag that instills some kind of wisdom on the listener. Your line(s) can be on any topic you like. It can be intended for old, young, male, female…or any combination. But your line must instill some wisdom while being humorous. You may submit up to 5 lines in each submission, but each line should be able to stand on its own. We have a FREE Tip Sheet available on Writing Great Jokes, simply send us an email and we will get that out to you.
Prizes: Prizes will be offered for the 3 jokes that get the most points: 1st Place - $125; 2nd Place - $75; 3rd Place - $25. 3 Honorable Mentions will receive a $10 Round Table Gift Certificate. Each one of your jokes will be judged on an individual basis. Lines should be crisp, sharp, and solid laugh getters. Each qualifying entry that doesn’t win a cash or honorable mention prize will be entered in a random drawing for a $10 Round Table Gift Certificate.
Added Service: Writers love getting feedback so as part of this competition, we will provide you with a brief critique of the jokes that you submit. This will apply to all entries except those that are disqualified so be sure to follow the rules.
Entry Fee: There is a $5.00 fee per entry for up to 5 jokes. All five lines must be submitted in the same entry and at the same time. You may submit less than 5 lines but the same entry fee is required. You may enter as many times as you like but a new fee is required for each submission (of up to 5 jokes). The entry fee is waived for Gene Perret’s Round Table Subscribers (must be a current subscriber when entry is received or submission will be disqualified). Entry Fees are non-refundable.
1. Jokes must be original.
2. All jokes must be numbered.
3. No more than 5 jokes in each submittal.
4. Your name and mailing address must appear on each page of submission or within the email.
5. Submissions can be sent electronically by email at RTComedy@cwo.com. Entry must be contained within the body of the email with the subject heading “Contest Entry.” Attachments will be deleted unopened. Or you may enter by mail at
6. You may enter as many times as you like but each entry (up to 5 jokes) must be sent/emailed separately and accompanied by the $5 entry fee. Entry Fees can be submitted by credit card online at www.comedywritersroom.com/store or by check. Entry Fees can be paid prior to or along with submittal. Material submitted without fee (and not current RT subscribers) will be disqualified. Entry Fees are not refundable. The Entry Fee is waived for people who are current subscribers of Round Table at the time of entry. You can subscribe to Round Table at www.comedywritersroom.com/store.
7. All entries must be received by July 16, 2014.
8. Jokes selected by Round Table as finalists will be posted on the website for voting. Voting will be open until August 16, 2014.
9. Prizes will be awarded by August 30, 2014. Decisions by the judges are final. Round Table will break any ties.
10. All material is the property of the writer. By entering you allow Round Table to print any or all of your lines on its website and/or in related PR.
11. Any submission not in compliance with these rules will be disqualified and ineligible for any prizes.
12. Acknowledgement of submissions will not be sent.
13. If the above rules are not followed, entry will be disqualified, entry fee forfeited, and ineligible to be placed on the webpage for voting. So please review your entry carefully.
Judging: This contest will be a little different in that the judging will be open to the public. Round Table will select the finalists from the lines received. There is no limit to how many lines one writer may have on the finalist list. Finalists will be posted to our website anonymously for 30 days and viewers will be able to vote for their 1st, 2nd, and 3rd favorite jokes. 5 points will be awarded for 1stplace; 3 points for second; and 1 for 3rd. Points will be tallied at the end of the voting period and prizes awarded. After the voting period, the writer’s name will be posted with his or her line on the webpage.
Of course, we will have to have some rules for the voting
1. Anyone who visits the website will be able to vote. They will be instructed to send an email to us with their 1st, 2nd, and 3rd favorite joke. Round Table will be soliciting people to vote and we will encourage you to do the same.
2. Only one voting submission per email address. The earliest submission will be accepted.
3. Votes must be included in the text of the email. Attachments will not be opened and will be deleted.
4. Round Table is not responsible for misdirected or un-received emails.
5. You do not need to include your name and/or address in the email to vote.
6. The rules for voting must be followed. Judging submissions that do not conform to the rules will not be included in the judging process.
7. Participants in the Competition are eligible to vote.