Sunday, 13 July 2014
Creative Writing Institute's International Short Story Contest Now Open - Deadline midnight, August 9, 2014, USA Eastern Standard Time
No Entry Fee
DIRECTIONS: Read all guidelines (rules) carefully.
First place: $200 USD or a free writing course with a personal tutor, valued at $260, + publication in our anthology and eBook.
Second place: $100 USD or a credit of $150 toward a writing course with a personal tutor, valued at $260, + publication in our anthology and eBook.
Third place: $50 USD or a credit of $100 toward a writing course with a personal tutor, valued at $260, + publication in our anthology and eBook.
Plus: seven additional Judge's Choice stories will receive publication in our anthology & Ebook, entitled "What Could Possibly go Wrong?"
ONE submission per person
When you're ready to submit, scroll to the bottom of the page athttp://CreativeWritingInstitute.Submittable.com/submit and click on SUBMIT. Entries will only be accepted on that form. Fill out your name and address, and follow the prompts to a space where you can copy and paste your document into it. Do NOT send attachments or emailed entries as these will NOT be accepted.
Especially note our requirements for G-rated literature. Please see #1 below for further definition.
By entering this contest, you are saying this story has not been previously published, you grant minor editing rights for publication, and Creative Writing Institute has first, non-exclusive, electronic rights and First North American Print Rights to publish the winners and Judge's Choice stories in our anthology,"What Could Possibly go Wrong?" All Rights return to the author upon publication.
This is a themed contest. Your story must be original and unpublished (except on personal blogs, critique groups, or personal web pages) and must be between 1,000 and 2,000 words.
Your story may be any genre, but these exact sentences must appear together in the story:
I have a list and a map. What could possibly go wrong?
Accepting submissions until midnight, August 9, 2014, USA Eastern Standard Time.
Entries will only be accepted through the submission form. As you go through the submission process, there will be a space for you to copy and paste your document into. Do NOT send attachments or emailed entries as these will NOT be accepted.
ENTRIES MUST FOLLOW THESE GUIDELINES OR BE DISQUALIFIED.
1. Any genre: Horror, Fantasy, Sci-Fi, Humor, Romance, Children, etc., No erotica, profanity, swearing, or gore. (Swearing includes but is not limited to the following:hell, damn, bitch, taking God's name in vain, and other similar words.) This is a "G" rated contest. One swear word will disqualify your entry. Good writers can make their point by showing the character's attitudes. Questions? Query the head judge at email@example.com.
2. Entries must be 1,000 to 2,000 words. (This is a strict word count, but don't count the title or personal information in the word count.) Place the word count at the top of page 1 before submitting.
3. One entry per person, please.
4.By entering this contest, you are stating that the story is your own copyright. You are stating that it has NOT been previously published by a professional or semi-professional publication. You are stating that you grant minor editing rights for publication, and if chosen, Creative Writing Institute has first, non-exclusive, electronic rights and First North American Print Rights to publish the winners and Judge's Choice stories in our anthology, "What Could Possibly go Wrong?" All Rights return to the author upon publication.
5. Entries will be judged on originality, creativity, style, and technique.
6. Be sure that your entry has been proofread and edited. Points will be deducted for poorly structured sentences, spelling mistakes, and grammatical errors. Your entry should reflect your commitment to writing.
7. Read tips and tricks on how to win a contest on this page.
Winners will be notified by email on or before September 12, 2014.
The competition will be judged by three judges, experienced in short story writing and editing. Direct your questions to Ms. Jo Popek, head judge, firstname.lastname@example.org.
Many thanks to our Competition Co-Coordinator, Jianna Higgins.
Sign up for The Writer's Choice Newsletter. Get the latest, hottest tips on writing!
Good Luck with your entries!
CEO, Creative Writing Institute
Impress Prize for New Writers Impress Prize | How it Works | Past Winners | Terms and Conditions The 2021 Impress Prize Submissions are ...
Born in 2017, the Society of Spanish Researchers invites talented and original writers to write a 100-word blurb for a hypothetical novel. T...
Our BRAND NEW quarterly flash fiction competition is coming soon! The first competition will open on 1st September 2020, with the first de...