In a world where principles have been replaced by meaningless trends, where art is being created to sell and not to reflect passion or value, a true artist struggles everyday with absurdity and materialism.
Write a short story ranging from 1500 to 5000 words highlighting this theme. Go in any direction you like with the theme from science fiction to romance to magical realism to a genre not yet described or discovered.
“Don’t bend, water it down, or make it logical, don’t edit your soul for fashion, follow intense obsessions mercilessly” – Franz Kafka.
- There is no submission fee for entering the competition.
- File: Word document.
Font: Times New Roman, Size 12, Margins Justified and Pages Numbered. The title of the story must be centered in the middle of the page, in bold, size 12.
- Do not mention your name inside the word document for judging purposes.
- When uploading a file, participants must be sure to have it saved by: Name, Title, Country.
- Participants may submit a maximum of two stories.
- Participants are allowed to use illustrations as figures, pictures and drawings if they own the rights to publish them.
- Participants are allowed to include their own poetry within the story as long as it is relevant.
- Send the stories to the following e-mail address: firstname.lastname@example.org
The WINNING STORY will be published in the third Issue of Rowayat, published on Jan 25th 2015.
The winner will also receive EGP 2500 prize money and 4 runner ups will be published on the Rowayat website.
*Rowayat and The Forgotten Writers might look into publishing an anthology of short stories depending on the quality of the submissions received.
About the Organizers
Rowayat, is the first English language literary journal in Egypt. Its vision is to create a space where high quality literary work can be read and accessible. A space for both emerging and established writers, who dream and write in English. As we are highlighting the “Hybrid” writer, who has chosen a second language for creativity, this journal includes Egyptians around the world as well as foreign residents. Through fiction and art, Rowayat aims to cross boundaries, bring us closer, unite the past, present and future writers emerging and resurrecting from Egypt.
The Forgotten Writers
The Forgotten Writers Project is an Egyptian initiative founded by writer Mahmoud Mansi in 2011. It discusses global, social and humane causes through art. It fulfills this task by conducting international creative writing competitions on contemporary themes. The choice of themes is always to try and find non-traditional themes that are challenging for writers, and interesting readers.
The initiative works on barter basis, and does not accept funding. The initiative simply promotes the writers who are interested in the theme, writers who have a strong message to achieve, and who seek to add new ideas and knowledge to our world.
“Unsold Stories” is the Eighth international competition launched by The Forgotten Writers.
* The theme of the competition was developed by Mahmoud Mansi.