Monday, 4 August 2014
The Sandy Crimmins National Prize for Poetry - Deadline: November 15, 2014.
Sandy Crimmins’ poem “Spring” appeared in the first issue of Philadelphia Stories in 2004 and she performed at our launch party. She served on the Philadelphia Stories board from 2005 to 2007. In the ten years since we debuted, Sandy’s voice and vision have fundamentally shaped Philadelphia Stories. Sandy was a poet who performed with musicians, dancers, and fire-eaters, and one of her proudest accomplishments was celebrating the work of her vibrant poetry community. In this spirit, Philadelphia Stories hosts the annual “Sandy Crimmins National Poetry Prize” to celebrate poets of all backgrounds, experience, and styles. Thanks to the generous support of Sandy’s family, we are proud to offer the following contest prizes:
● The first-place winning poet will receive a $1,000 cash award for an individual poem, an invitation to an awards event in Philadelphia and publication in the Spring issue.
● Three runners up will receive $100 cash awards for individual poems as well as publication in our Spring issue.
● The winning poet and runners up are invited to submit chapbooks to be considered for publication by PS Books.
● All submitted poems may be selected by the editors for publication in our Spring issue.
Contest Submission Guidelines:
1. Submission deadline: November 15, 2014.
2. We will only consider work previously unpublished in print or online.
3. There is a $12 reading fee for every submission. [All entrants will receive a complimentary one-year membership to
Philadelphia Stories -- a $20 value.]
4. Simultaneous submissions are also accepted; however, we must be notified immediately if your work is accepted elsewhere.
5. Poets currently residing in the United States are eligible.
6. Submissions will be accepted via the website. If you have any trouble uploading to the site, please email email@example.com.
7. We will accept up to five pages of poetry. You may submit one 5-page poem, five 1-page poems, or any other combination within the five-page restriction. No more than one poem per page.
8. All submissions should use a 12 pt font and standard typeface (not Comic Sans or Impact, etc.). Author's name should appear on each page (this will be removed for the screening process).
9. You may enter multiple submissions of up to five pages for the additional fee of $12 per submission.
We expect to announce winning poems by early April.
CLICK HERE TO SUBMIT TO THE 2015 CONTEST. (Scroll through categories and select "Sandy Crimmins National Prize for Poetry")
Categories Children’s , Drama , Fiction , General , Horror , Journalism , Mystery , Nonfiction , Personal Journals , Plays , Romance , Scien...
DISCOVER - New writing from Turkey and the UK Open call for short story writers The British Council in Turkey aims to build a bridge b...
North West Words has launched two 2017 English and Irish language adult poetry competitions sponsored by Aurivo and Ealaín na Gaeltachta. ...