This Blog is mainly about creative writing,writing competitions, writing contests, poetry contests,poetry competitions, writing quotes and other useful writing information. I will, when I find them, post information on writers' workshops, tutorials and other creative links. I hope you enjoy! You may buy books in the corner Book Store safe in the knowledge you have all the protection of Amazon.Please pass on URL to any writer friends.
Monday, 13 October 2014
THE APR/HONICKMAN FIRST BOOK PRIZE
The annual American Poetry Review /Honickman First Book Prize offers publication of a book of poems, a $3,000 award, and distribution by Copper Canyon Press through Consortium.
Each year a distinguished poet is chosen to be the judge of the prize and write an introduction to the winning book. The purpose of the prize is to encourage excellence in poetry, and to provide a wide readership for a deserving first book of poems.
Note: The submission period for the 2014 prize will begin on August 1, 2014 and extend through October 31, 2014.
JUDGE: C.D. WRIGHT
The prize of $3,000, with an introduction by the judge and distribution of the winning book by Copper Canyon Press through Consortium, will be awarded in 2014 with publication of the book in the same year. The author will receive a standard book publishing contract, with royalties paid in addition to the $3,000 prize.
The prize is open to U.S. citizens who have not published a book-length collection of poems with a registered ISBN. Poems previously published in periodicals or limited-edition chapbooks may be included in the manuscript, but the manuscript itself must not have been published as a book-length work exceeding 25 pages. Translations are not eligible nor are works written by multiple authors. The editors of The American Poetry Review will screen manuscripts for the judge. APR complies with the CLMP Code of Ethics in the administration of this contest. The judge will select a manuscript in an anonymous review process and will not award the prize to any writer whose personal relationship to the judge poses a conflict of interest.
Please note: Manuscripts cannot be returned.
• Manuscripts must be postmarked between August 1 and October 31, 2014. The winning author and all other entrants will be notified by February 15, 2015.
• Please use first class mail. Do not use Federal Express, Overnight Mail, or UPS or any other service that requires a signature.
• You may simultaneously submit your manuscript elsewhere, but please notify us immediately if it is accepted for publication. Submission of more than one manuscript is permissible; each must be under separate cover with a fee, a return postcard, and a notification envelope.
• The winning author will have time to revise the manuscript after acceptance, but please send no revisions during the reading period.
To be considered for the prize, send:
1. A clearly typed poetry manuscript of 48 pages or more, single-spaced, paginated, with a table of contents and acknowledgments.
2. Two title pages: one with your name, address, e-mail, phone number, and the book title; a second title page should contain the title only. Your name should not appear anywhere on the manuscript except the first title page.
3. An entry fee of $25 by check or money order, payable to The American Poetry Review.
4. A self-addressed stamped envelope for notification of contest results.
5. A self-addressed stamped postcard for notification of receipt of the manuscript. Your manuscript identification number will be included on this card when it is returned to you. If no postcard is included in your entry, you will not be notified of its receipt.
Send your submission to:
The American Poetry Review/ Honickman First Book Prize
University of the Arts
320 S. Broad St, Hamilton #313
Philadelphia, PA 19102
Subscribe to: Post Comments (Atom)
Anthology Poetry Award
Entries are now invited for the Anthology Poetry Award. Established to recognise and encourage excellence in the craft of poetry writing a...
Parkinson’s Art are pleased to announce their latest charity poetry competition - Poetry in performance. This will complement our wonderfu...
Could you be the next Parkinson’s Art Poet of the Year? Entries are invited for this prestigious, annual poetry competition. Our theme this...
Nelson Algren Short Story Award - Deadline Saturday, Jan. 31, 2015 #seanocarolan.com #writing #contests #competitions #prize #Short #StoryNelson Algren Short Story Award CLARIFICATION: Entries will be accepted until 11:59 p.m. on Saturday, Jan. 31, 2015. The Nelson Algren Liter...
Post a Comment
Please feel free to leave a message.