Friday, 13 February 2015
Flash Fool Contest #seanocarolan.com #Flash #Fiction #Contest #Competition
Submit to Flash Fool
Flash Future is now in the past, and we’re moving on to our next quarterly contest. This go-round we’re cooking up a contest with the theme of #FlashFoolthat will appear in a mega-issue on (you guessed it) April Fool’s Day. That also just so happens to be The Molotov Cocktail‘s 5-year anniversary, so, yeah, it’s kind of a big deal.
The key to this contest will be a twist ending. Genre is wide open. Scare us, make us laugh, blow our minds, makes us feel all ushy-gushy… whatever. We simply require some kind of unexpected ending.
What’s in it for all you little M. Night Shyamalans out there? The following, as long as you can pull off a far less-contrived twist than that hack M. Night Shyamalan:
$200 for Flash Fool winner
$75 for runner-up
$50 for second runner-up
(We also give mad props to 4th-10th place, publishing them as
Honorable Mentions in our April Fool’s Day mega-issue!)
Submit to Flash Fool Contest Here
We’ve raised the haul by $25 each for the first and second runners-up, with the hope of continuing to do so for all prize winners in the future. How’s that for a twist!?! (Note: twist needs to be better than that to win money.)
Follow these guidelines, and you could have some extra coin in your pocket, and some bragging rights as the first ever Flash Fool winner:
- All submissions must absolutely be under 1,000 words, and we tend to look more kindly on 750 or fewer because… SQUIRREL!
- All contest submissions will be read blind, so we won’t be playing favorites. Sorry, Mom.
- Please paste your submission into the corresponding field. Do not list your name anywhere in your submission or we’ll assume you don’t know how to read.
- Costs $6 to enter, because, you know, gotta fund the prize money somehow. (Sorry, no refunds.)
- We reserve the right to extend deadlines if necessary (and you can probably expect another 3-day or so Procrastinator’s Special, with corresponding increase in submission fee so it’s still fair and all).
- Submissions must be previously unpublished work, and you will retain copyright (duh).
- No limit on how many entries you can submit, but you must submit them one at a time. Don’t just mash them all in there.
- Contest submissions accepted until roughly 11:59 PST on March 15th, 2015. Winners announced by March 31st and we’ll ring in our 5-year anniversary immediately thereafter with a special prize-winners mega-issue for April Fool’s Day!
- And, most importantly, this is a FLASH FOOL contest, therefore you must include some sort of surprise/twist. However, that twist can be in any genre and handled in any sort of way you can imagine.
We’re thrilled to announce the Leicester Writes Short Story Prize 2021 is now open for entries. We’re looking for new and original fiction ...
First Prize: €500 The NEW ROSCOMMON WRITING AWARD 2020 is organised as part of the county’s literature development programme. It is funded...
Born in 2017, the Society of Spanish Researchers invites talented and original writers to write a 100-word blurb for a hypothetical novel. T...
On the theme of 'Gardens' Until the end of July, we're looking for short stories on a theme of 'gardens': "Private...