First Prize - £200 Second Prize - £100 Third Prize - £50
Why one thousand words?
Because it’s an acceptable word count for most commercially-published short fiction.
Because a page of print copy in a UK magazine is approximately one thousand words.
Because a story might be too fat for five hundred words or too slender for three thousand.
Because it’s a challenge!But because we’re not too strict, we will allow up to fifty words over or under a thousand.
Read last year's winning stories selected from all our short fiction competitions. Available as a paperback from Amazon. Click on the cover.
How to enter
In the subject line of your email, type WoW followed by the title of your story.
In the body of the email type your name, contact details (postal address and phone number, mobile and/or landline) and the title of your story.
Email your story as an attachment (in doc, docx, pdf or rtf format only) to: email@example.com.
Your attachment should have the same title as your story. Any entries with the entrant’s name visible on the attachment will be disqualified and no refund will be given.
Click on the Paypal tab below and pay the fee of £5. If the fee is paid by via a Paypal account is in a different name, it is essential you let us know.
1. The decision of the judges is final. No correspondence will be entered into.
2. The title is not included in the 1,000 words.
3. The three prizewinning stories may be published on the website and/or in a forthcoming anthology.
4. Winners will be contacted by the end of July.
5. Email entries in English only will be accepted.
6. Prize money will be awarded via Paypal.
7. Stories should not have previously been published or won a prize in any other competition. Please be prepared to withdraw your story from the competition if it wins a prize elsewhere.