The Drue Heinz Literature Prize Call for Submissions 2017
The University of Pittsburgh Press announces the 2017 Drue Heinz Literature Prize for a collection of short fiction. The prize carries a cash award of $15,000 and publication by the University of Pittsburgh Press under its standard contract. The winner will be announced in December or January. No information about the winner will be released before the official announcement. The volume of manuscripts prevents the Press from offering critiques or entering into communication or correspondence about manuscripts.
Past Winners of the Drue Heinz Literature Prize
1. The award is open to writers who have published a novel or a book-length collection of fiction with a reputable book publisher, or a minimum of three short stories or novellas in magazines or journals of national distribution. Digital-only publication and self-publication do not count toward this requirement.
2. The award is open to writers in English, whether or not they are citizens of the United States.
3. University of Pittsburgh employees, former employees, current students, and those who have been students within the last three years are not eligible for the award.
4. Translations are not eligible if the translation was not done by the author.
5. Eligible submissions include an unpublished manuscript of short stories; two or more novellas (a novella may comprise a maximum of 130 double-spaced typed pages); or a combination of one or more novellas and short stories. Novellas are only accepted as part of a larger collection. Manuscripts may be no fewer than 150 and no more than 300 typed pages. Prior publication of your manuscript as a whole in any format (including electronic) makes it ineligible.
6. Stories or novellas previously published in magazines or journals or in book form as part of an anthology are eligible.
Format for Submissions
1. Manuscripts must be double-spaced on quality white paper, unbound, and pages must be numbered consecutively. Clean, legible photocopies on high quality white paper are acceptable.
2. Each submission must include a list of all of the writer's published short fiction work, with full citations.
3. Manuscripts will be judged anonymously. Each manuscript should have two cover pages: one listing the title of the manuscript and the author's name, address, e-mail address (if available), and telephone number; and a second listing only the manuscript title. The author's name, other identifying information, and publication information must not appear after the first cover page.
4. Manuscripts will not be returned.
1. Manuscripts may also be under consideration by other publishers, but if a manuscript is accepted for publication elsewhere, please notify the Press.
2. Authors may submit more than one manuscript to the competition as long as one manuscript or a portion thereof does not duplicate material submitted in another manuscript.
Dates for Submission
Manuscripts must be received during May and June 2016. That is, they must be postmarked on or after May 1 and on or before June 30.
Send submissions to:
Drue Heinz Literature Prize
University of Pittsburgh Press
7500 Thomas Blvd.
Pittsburgh, PA 15260
Note: 15260 is the correct and exclusive zip code for the University of Pittsburgh and the Press. For UPS, FedEx, etc., zip code 15208 should be used.
If you have any questions about these guidelines, please e-mail email@example.com