Tuesday, 27 June 2017
Foyle's Books - The Portobello Prize
The Portobello Prize will showcase the most exciting new voices in narrative non-fiction, offering debut writers an opportunity to seek out and publish an untold story that reflects our times.
From its inception, Portobello Books has championed writers who have shone a spotlight on unexplored issues, unvisited places, and under-reported stories. Portobello has a strong track record of publishing books that are as eye-opening as they are page-turning. And now, with the launch of the Portobello Prize, we want to celebrate the art of narrative non-fiction and to discover and launch a star of the future.
The inaugural 2017 Portobello Prize will be open to any UK citizen or UK-based writer who is unpublished in book form, and entries can be submitted from 16th June to 16th October 2017.
The judging panel consists of: Ben Rawlence (author of City of Thorns), Sharmaine Lovegrove (film & TV scout and literary editor), Sophie Lambert (Literary Agent, C+W), Marion Rankine (book-buyer at Foyles), and Laura Barber (Publishing Director, Portobello Books).
The winner will receive a competitive book deal, representation by C+W, and publication by Portobello Books, backed by a dynamic marketing and publicity campaign, with promotional support from legendary independent bookstore, Foyles.
Watch the prize introductory trailer here.
For any questions regarding the prize, please email firstname.lastname@example.org.
How to enter:
1. The writer must have UK citizenship, or have been UK-resident for the last 18 months, but the subject of the proposal doesn’t necessary need to be British.
2. The writer must be unpublished in book form (having published journalism in print or online is fine, as is having had work published as part of a multi-authored collection).
3. Entries must consist of: a comprehensive overview of the subject and how the story will be told, along with a sample chapter, and a biographical note, and the whole entry must be between 10,000 and 14,000 words. For top tips on how to write a killer proposal, please read Sophie Lambert’s blog on Foyles.co.uk.
4. Entries can be made between midnight on 16th June 2017 and midnight on 16th October 2017.
5. Entries must be sent to email@example.com.
6. Entries must be exclusive – the idea and material cannot be on submission to other prizes, publishers, or agencies.
7. The judges reserve the right not to award the prize this year, or to make multiple offers of publication and representation.
8. The writer must be aware that if their entry wins, their book will be agented by C+W and published by Portobello Books.
9. The writer must be prepared to take part in a launch event at Foyles, and assist with promotion.
International Story Prize This prestigious prize is awarded each year for a short story on a chosen theme. The winner receives ...
. F I R S T P R I Z E £500 + publication S E C O N D P R I Z E £100 + publication T H I R D P R I Z E Place on...
The STORGY ‘EXIT EARTH’ Short Story Competition is open to all. Final embraces beneath a sky of flames. Tears of joy aboard a sinking sh...
The 2017 Manchester Writing Competition will be open to entries in February 2017. To be notified when the competition launches, please join ...