Tuesday, 22 August 2017
The Arkansas International Emerging Writer’s Prize
Judge: ZZ Packer
Entries for the Emerging Writer's Prize in Fiction should be a single prose work not exceeding 7,500 words. Entrants may submit more than once, but each new entry must be accompanied by a separate $20 entry fee.
- Open to writers who haven’t yet published a full-length book, and who have no book forthcoming before May 1, 2018. Writers with chapbooks are allowed.
- All work will be considered for inclusion in the print journal.
- Only previously unpublished work will be considered.
- The contest will be judged blindly, so please do not include your cover letter, your name, or any contact information in your uploaded document.
- Submit your double-spaced work as a single .doc, .docx, or .pdf file.
- Close friends of the judge, as well as anyone recently affiliated with the University of Arkansas, which includes those who have studied or worked there within the past 4 years, are ineligible.
- $20 entry fee includes a one-year subscription to The Arkansas International (free to current subscribers).
- Online submissions accepted via The Arkansas International's Submittable.
ZZ PACKER, 2017 JUDGE
ZZ Packer’s collection Drinking Coffee Elsewhere was published in 2003. Her stories have appeared in The New Yorker (where she was launched as a debut writer), Harper’s, and Story, have been published in The Best American Short Stories, and have been read on NPR’s Selected Shorts. Packer is the recipient of a Rona Jaffe Foundation Writers’ Award. A graduate of Yale, the Iowa Writers’ Workshop, and the Writing Seminar at Johns Hopkins University, she has also been a Wallace Stegner-Truman Capote fellow at Stanford University.
To celebrate their 250th birthday, John Murray are launching a new international non-fiction prize in association with The Spectator – open...
DISCOVER - New writing from Turkey and the UK Open call for short story writers The British Council in Turkey aims to build a bridge b...
Categories Children’s , Drama , Fiction , General , Horror , Journalism , Mystery , Nonfiction , Personal Journals , Plays , Romance , Scien...
The Spread the Word Life Writing Prize in association with Goldsmiths Writers’ Centre was established in 2016. Open to emerging write...