Tuesday, 23 January 2018
A3 Review Monthly Contest - BRIEF ENCOUNTERS
The A3 Review is an international magazine that behaves like a map. Its themed monthly contests are brought to you by the folks who make Writing Maps. We believe in words and images, and love a combination of the two. We're looking for prose, poetry, graphic stories, photography, paintings, drawings, and other visual and word-based creations and various combinations of the above.
We welcome submissions from everywhere in the world.
Each month's two winning entries will appear in The A3 Review, a fold-out literary and art magazine published every six months. The current issue is Issue 7 (The Silver Issue), which came out in October 2017.
Issue 8 (The Gold Issue): Edited by KM Elkes and Shaun Levin. The two winning entries from each month, September 2017 till February 2018, will make up the list of contributors to Issue 8. From this list, three overall winning entries will be chosen in February 2018. These three ultimate winners will receive cash prizes: 1st = £175, 2nd = £100, 3rd = £75 (approx $230, $130, $95). Issue 8 will appear in early April 2018.
Issue 9 (The Circle Issue): Edited by KM Elkes and Shaun Levin. The two winning entries from each month, March till August 2018, will make up the list of contributors to Issue 9. From this list, three overall winning entries will be chosen in August 2018. These three ultimate winners will receive cash prizes: 1st = £175, 2nd = £100, 3rd = £75 (approx $230, $130, $95). Issue 9 will appear in early October 2018.
Writing: No more than 150 words (title not included). Poems no longer than 30 lines.
Art: Must fit into an A6 panel. That's about 4 x 6 inches or 10 x 15cm. Send as low-res in the first instance. If your work is accepted, we'll ask for a hi-res image.
There is a small fee of $5 (approx £3.50) per entry to help us cover admin and printing costs and to make sure we can keep offering cash prizes.
Follow us on Twitter for conversation, updates and inspiration. Sign up to The A3 Review newsletter here.
These are The Rules:
1. Entry fee is $5 (approx £3.50) per submission. Multiple entries are welcome, though each must be uploaded as a separate submission.
2. Enter online through Submittable.
3. Each contest closes on the 4th Saturday of the month.
4. Any entries submitted after the deadline will not be eligible.
5. The A3 Review's Monthly Contest is open to all writers and artists over 16.
6. We encourage prose, poems, prose poems, graphic stories, hybrid forms, photography, illustration, painting.
7. Maximum number of words is 150. Poems must be no longer than 30 lines.
8. Artwork, graphic and comics stories must fit into an A6 panel.
9. Two winning entries from each month with appear in The A3 Review to be published every 6 months. From this shortlist of winners, 3 will be chosen to win cash prizes: 1st = £175, 2nd = £100, 3rd = £70 (approx: 1st = US$230, 2nd = US$130, 3rd = US$95).
10. Entries must be available for The A3 Review, and must not have been previously published.
11. The judges' verdict is final. No correspondence will be entered into.
12. Entries cannot be substituted once they have been submitted.
13. Judging is anonymous.
14. Name and contact details must not appear on the entries.
15. Submission of entry is taken to be an unqualified acceptance of these rules.
Born in 2017, the Society of Spanish Researchers invites talented and original writers to write a 100-word blurb for a hypothetical novel. T...
Ireland’s Own Open Short Story section (maximum 2,000 words) is open to all and carries a prize fund of €1,000 – a first prize of €600;...
‘Wordsmiths’ is set to be an annual writing competition of a different nature. The format has been thrown wide open to give a level-pla...