The 2018 Cheshire Prize for Literature is for an original and previously unpublished short story. The word limit for entry is 1,500 words. The entry must be all the author's own work; otherwise entry is open in terms of subject and content.
The Competition is open to residents of Cheshire, Warrington, Wirral and Halton including those who have ever lived, worked or studied in the area.
The first prize is £2,000 and there are runners' up prizes of £750 which are awarded at the judges' discretion.
Rules and Conditions
1. The writer must have been born, live or have lived, study or have studied, work or have worked, in the historical or modern county of Cheshire. For the purposes of the Prize, Cheshire is deemed to include the Wirral, as well as Warrington and Halton. Documentary evidence of eligibility may be required.
2. Entrants must be aged 18 years or over on 1st September 2017.
3. Entries must be received by 1st September 2017. Three typed, (non-returnable) copies of the entry should be sent to: The Cheshire Prize for Literature, University of Chester, Parkgate Road, Chester, CH1 4BJ. The writer’s name should not feature on the entry itself. A covering letter should include the writer’s name and address, telephone number and/or email address, and the title of the entry submitted. Alternatively, email entries can be sent email@example.com, the entry must be attached as a Word document with a separate Word document attached containing a covering letter. There is no charge for entering the competition. Entrants may submit only one entry. Entrants from outside the county must state the reason for their eligibility.
4. Entries will be judged anonymously, by a panel chaired by William Stephenson, from the Department of English at the University of Chester. The decision of the judging panel will be final. No correspondence can be entered into concerning individual entries.
6. By entering the competition the writer consents to their work being published in the anthology of winning and shortlisted entries the following year; we ask that if a piece is invited to be a part of the anthology, that it is not published or entered into any other competitions prior to the publication of the anthology, normally in the summer of the year following the competition.
Enquiries about eligibility, or requests for further information, should be directed to:
The Cheshire Prize for Literature,
University of Chester
Tel: 01244 511344
If you would like to be added to the mailing list for The Cheshire Prize for Literature, please email us